Eye clean is actually an unofficial term used to describe the clarity of a diamond. Refers to diamond clarity, which has no flaws. There are certain criteria used to determine this. The most important of these is that it looks flawless with the naked eye.
Eye clean diamonds are extremely rare diamonds. Diamonds with an FL grade are eye-clean diamonds, but jewelers mostly recommend diamonds with an IF grade that are internally flawless. IF-graded diamonds are slightly more affordable than FL-grade diamonds. As you can imagine, FL diamonds are quite expensive due to their rarity.
On the other hand, even though no flaws are visible due to the naked eye, SI-grade diamonds are not considered eye-clean. They create an alternative to eye-clean diamonds. So if you want to buy a diamond with the best clarity, it is always a good idea to consult a professional.
With a grading system determined by the GIA, the degree of eye cleanness of the diamond is determined. For this, they created a five-point system. Although some professionals use their own rating system, this is the rating system that should be used by every professional.
- 100% eye clean
- 99% eye clean *
- 70% eye clean
- 20% eye clean
- Not eye clean at all
When you go shopping for diamonds, you should ignore and not think about the presence of remains inside. Because it is quite common for a diamond to have residues in it unless you can see it with your naked eye. Finding these residues is completely normal. Remember that having an eye-clean diamond means no residue, even when examined using professional tools.
Whether you prefer light or dark diamonds does not indicate eye cleanness at all. The important thing will be to choose a diamond with well-dispersed inclusions. It can be said that another feature that determines the state of clarity can be the degree of their inclusions.
If you have a tight budget, you will naturally tend to buy a low clarity diamond. Although the I1 has a low clarity level, it will have a very good appearance and will be an affordable choice. If the level of clarity is an important criterion for you, consulting a professional will benefit you in the long run.
Before purchasing your diamond, you should have a professional examination or take a close look at it with the naked eye. This stage will help you understand whether the diamond you want to buy has any defects and evaluate the impact that may occur on the durability of your diamond. Examining with the naked eye is the unofficial way of judging your diamond’s color, clarity, and cut.
If you are buying directly from the store, there will be jewelers to assist you. In online shopping, enlarged videos and viewing tools will help you. In online shopping, you must make the assessment yourself. Both methods have their own advantages or disadvantages.
What Are Eye-Clean Diamonds?
Eye clean is an unofficial term used to describe the clarity of a diamond. It refers to diamond clarity, which has no flaws. There are certain criteria used to determine this. The most important of these is that it looks flawless with the naked eye. They are extremely rare diamonds.
There are several conditions for a diamond to be considered eye-clean. When viewed in daylight, your diamond shines and when viewed under fluorescent light, it looks free of its residues and is considered to be eye-clean. It should be viewed from a distance of 6 to 12 inches. Although there is a system fixed by GIA, eye cleanness differs from jeweler to jeweler. The main factors that we can include in the definition of an eye-clean diamond:
- Reference point and distance to diamond
- Lighting conditions of the environment for which evaluation is planned
- The vision of the person making the assessment
GIA and AGS set a rating that is considered as an eye-clean or not. Once again, even though they set a system, it differs from jeweler to jeweler, it differs from professional to professional.
- Flawless (FL) (eye clean)
- Internally Flawless (IF) (eye clean)
- Very, Very Slightly Included (VVS1 and VVS2) (eye clean)
- Very Slightly Included (VS1 and VS2) (eye clean)
- Slightly Included (SI1 and SI2)( may or may not be eye-clean)
- Included (I1, I2, and I3) (non-eye clean)
GIA Clarity Grades
The GIA (American Gemology Institute) offers a universally understandable standard method for defining the clarity of diamonds. There are five main clarity grades you may encounter in your diamond’s certification;
- FL / IF flawless / internally flawless: No inclusions even below 10x magnification. There are no surface defects or inclusions that can be considered significant when the examination is made below 10x. Although most defects can be removed with a light grinding process, it is not necessary at all. They are very rare, beautiful but also quite expensive diamonds.
- VVS1-2 very very slight inclusions: Diamonds with small inclusions that are very difficult to detect by experienced experts, even under 10x magnification. They are extremely rare and just as beautiful.
- VS1-2 very slight inclusions: Diamonds containing small inclusions in a range that are easily visible or invisible at 10x magnification. Typical VS inclusions consist of small crystals, hairs, or discrete clouds. In some rare cases, VS gemstones may also contain a visible inclusion. They are diamonds of excellent quality.
- SI1-2 slight inclusions: Diamonds at a level that could not be easily seen by an expert or with the naked eye under a 10x magnification lens. They have great value.
- I1 / I2 / I3 inclusions: They contain highly visible inclusions. It is not very suitable for use in jewelry, it is not preferred.
In fact, all diamonds you see in the market contain unique and invisible stains. The clarity is proportional to the degree of such stains of the diamond. Stains are factors that greatly affect the price and beauty of diamonds.
Another factor you should pay attention to when buying diamonds is whether these stains are visible to the naked eye. Invisible stains that do not affect its brightness can make the diamond’s price more reasonable. The position where the stains are in the diamond is also very important. Designers put a lot of effort into visibly minimizing these types of stains. On the other hand, the stains on the cone and belt are the ones that affect the value of the diamond at least. These stains are very difficult to notice. Sometimes the spots can be found in an area that can be seen from many angles. Such stains decrease the diamond value a lot.
Factors affecting the degree of clarity:
- Number and size of marks and spots
- Whether the spots can be seen easily (with a magnifying glass or with the naked eye)
- How the spots appear (color)
- The nature of the stains (whether there are crystal inclusions or cracks)
- How the stains are located (where they are easy to see or where they can be polished again)
- Stain type (point or planar)
- You can hardly distinguish between FI and IF, VVS1, or VVS2 when you look at it with a magnifying glass. When looking at a clean VS stone with the naked eye, you cannot see a big difference in the beauty of the gemstone. When buying a high-clarity stone, the most important thing you need to know is that although the high clarity increases the prices, you will not be able to notice it with the naked eye.
- VS1 and VS2 graded diamonds contain stains that are barely noticeable even with a magnifying glass. These spots are usually small crystals, hair appearance, cloudiness, etc.
- SI1 and SI2 graded diamonds are generally the best-selling clarity diamonds in the market. You can see the stains on these stones only when viewed with a magnifying glass. You cannot see the stains when you look with the naked eye in SI1 diamonds. These diamonds are beautiful and top-quality diamonds that can be purchased at reasonable prices. It is quite common that you can see blemishes with the naked eye on most SI2 diamonds.
- Diamonds with I1, I2, and I3 clarity grades are also available on the market. It cannot be denied that there are stains on these diamonds that will affect the beauty and durability of the stone. Sometimes in the market, I1 and I2 stones are shown and sold as SI1 or SI2 qualified without certification. If you do the necessary research while buying diamonds and examine your diamond in detail, you will not fall into such a mistake.
What Should You Pay Attention to in Diamond Shopping?
- If you want to be 100% sure that your diamond does not have any visible stains, it is recommended that you stick to “VS2” or higher-grade diamonds.
- If you buy diamonds of SI-quality, you will see the budget you have allocated for diamonds, but it will still be the right decision to consult our experts before finalizing your order. In this way, you can be sure that the diamond you will buy does not contain any visible stains.
- It is also a good idea to balance the clarity of your diamond with its color.
- If the color grade of the diamond you are considering buying is D-F, you should focus on VS2 or higher clarity grades. Thus, you can become the owner of a diamond with the most precious features found in nature.
- The diamonds in the G-K color range and combined with the SI clarity grade will also give you the value you pay in terms of cost.
NOTE: The fact that the clarity of the diamond you will buy has been determined by internationally recognized gemology organizations will enable you to know the real clarity of the stone you will choose. Do not forget that the clarity of a diamond is not easily distinguished by the naked eye. In order not to be deceived, choose products with internationally valid certificates that reflect the values determined by expert organizations.
TANACHE Natural Diamond Earrings 10K Gold 1/5-1 1/5 carat 100% Real Diamond Solitaire Stud Earring For Women (1/5-1 1/5 CT IJ-I2-I3 Quality Jewelry For Women)
It is a timeless piece that every woman has to have in their jewelry collections. You can wear them always. They are perfect for both special occasions and daily wear. They look perfectly feminine and classy. They bring shine and elegance to any outfit. They are easy to care for and easy to store as well. You should not forget to remove them before going to bed and shower. You will be very pleased with your purchase. https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Diamond-Earrings-Certified-Solitaire/dp/B0821CB1PN/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=clarity+diamond&qid=1614829960&sr=8-2
7 Carat Natural Diamond (F-G Color, VS1-VS2 Clarity) 14K White Gold Luxury Bangle Bracelet for Women Exclusively Handcrafted in the USA
It is an amazing diamond bracelet with one of the best clarity levels you can find on the market. You will draw all the attention you are in and you will receive lots of compliments. As you can imagine, the clarity level and price is getting higher simultaneously. However, it definitely deserves the money you are investing in. https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Diamond-Bracelet-Exclusively-Handcrafted/dp/B079DNS99D/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=clarity%2Bdiamond%2Bnatural&qid=1614829986&sr=8-1&th=1
Privosa Fine Jewelry Store 14K Gold (White or Yellow) 1/10 Carat (G-H Color, SI2-I1 Clarity) Natural Diamond Linked-Hoop Pendant with FREE 18″ Sterling Silver Chain
It is a great and meaningful diamond necklace. It has a great clarity level which means it shines perfectly when it catches the light in the environment. It is a piece of fine jewelry for everyday wear. It brings style and perfection to any outfit. It is highly affordable and recommended as a gift option as well. You will be extremely satisfied with your purchase. https://www.amazon.com/Clarity-Natural-Diamond-Linked-Hoop-Sterling/dp/B082ZBFPR3/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=clarity%2Bdiamond%2Bnatural&qid=1614829986&sr=8-14&th=1
Aurelio Jewelry Diamond Ring Sterling Silver 1/20 Carat Round-Cut (I-J Color, I2-I3 Clarity) Natural Diamond Ring for Women
If you are a vintage lover, this is a diamond ring you are looking for. It provides excellent quality and shines perfectly. It looks better than the photo in real life. It has delicate, vintage, and old-fashioned looks. It is a natural diamond and the certification tells its clarity level is very good. It has adjustable sizes to fit everyone’s fingers. This ring comes with a beautiful sky-blue gift box. You will not be disappointed at all with your purchase. https://www.amazon.com/Aurelio-Jewelry-Diamond-Sterling-Round-Cut/dp/B07W4MB6YD/ref=sr_1_20?dchild=1&keywords=clarity%2Bdiamond%2Bnatural&qid=1614829986&sr=8-20&th=1